(by John L. Bennett – Author of The Essential Network: Success Through Personal Connections)
1) Seek to understand others before you seek to have them understand you.
2) Build relationships; the network will follow.
3) Generously share your network with others.
4) Be yourself; be authentic; be confident.
5) Treasure your network as you would a delicate possession that needs care and attention.
6) Be prepared to tell others about yourself.
7) Recognize others; don’t be afraid to say “Thank You.”
8) Be trustworthy; earn and give respect.
9) What you give will be returned – be generous to others.
10) Continually learn to improve your networking skills.
11) Delight in knowing people.