Many years ago, in fact, more than 80 years ago, an author named Napolean Hill wrote a book called ‘Think and Grow Rich’, and in that book, he outlined 13 principles that needed to be mastered in order to become successful.
Thinking has the potential to make you rich, however, you need to make sure your thinking is correct.
Here are a few misconceptions in our thinking and we need to clarify the way we think before we even start thinking:
- Think anyone is going to give you money. If they are clever they know that giving you money will teach you nothing.
- Think that anyone is going to give you the knowledge. You will have to discover everything for yourself and learn every day to find the knowledge that will be applicable to you.
- Think that you won’t be rejected. You will be rejected and people will object to everything you are planning to do. Either they are jealous that you could be more successful than them (this is the primary reason) but they also lack ambition and don’t understand why you would even try.
- Waste your money on courses that promise to teach you how to be successful. Rather follow people online and see if they are setting an example of the success that you would like to follow. Many people are faking things and would like to sell you an idea of success. Truly successful people can be followed and you can learn a great deal from observing and thinking about why they are doing what they are doing.
- Read self-help books. If they actually worked why are there so many of them on sale, and the same goes for leadership books – realise that everything you need to learn is different from what everyone else is learning. Instead, read books that will help you start, and then practice the principles you have learnt in the real world.
- Remember that is will take you time to learn and be successful, in fact when you have 10,000 hours of experience you have only just started, so make sure you use your time wisely.
- Find people more successful than you, your friends who are unsuccessful will only drag you down, so find people that will inspire you to be better.
- Understand that you will have to do everything you need to do to become successful, the mentors that you follow can only guide you in the right direction, so find many people who can teach you many things. You can find people who share knowledge abundantly and it is free. Be wary of those who want to charge for all the old outdated advice they wish to sell you.
- Take risks, it is the only way to speed up your learning process. Forget about the idea that you should never make mistakes.
- Smile every day and be grateful for everything, gratitude is the key to unlocking success in your life.
Never give up and realise that your attitude will contribute more to your success than anything else. When things are difficult remember that you are learning. When things are good, remind yourself that you should always learn and never stop thinking about how you can be better.
You can think and grow rich, but you need to make sure your thinking is different from that of everyone else.